HOW TO REDUCE MELANIN DURING PREGNANCY – During pregnancy, there is a rapid change in the level of Estrogen (a hormone found in women) in order to assist body build tissues for both the mother and the fetus. This sudden growth in Estrogen level arouses excessive Melanin production. This process is also known as hyper-pigmentation. Excessive melanin can cause skin pigmentation in different parts of the body such as neck, abdomen, armpits, hands, etc.
What is Melanin?
Melanin is a dark-coloured pigment that gets collected in the skin to give its colour i.e. tang colour. Excessive melanin can cause various health problems like skin cancer, vitamin D problems, and many more. So, to avoid these health problems here are some tips to reduce melanin during pregnancy.
PROTECT YOUR SKIN
- Remain indoors as much as possible because sun rays can be very harsh on the skin. In order to protect skin from sun ray, the body produces Melanin as it works as skin defence mechanism. If you are exposed to sunlight body will produce Melanin. Avoid going outside when the sun is at hottest especially during noon time.
- Stay away from windows – Avoid sitting near windows for a too long time even if you are inside your house. Also be careful while sitting in a car. Rays can penetrate through glass and can cause skin pigmentation.
- Apply sunscreen – Go for a sunscreen with minimum SPF of 30. Use it every day even on cloudy day. It will protect you from UV ray which can affect your skin and can start the production of Melanin.
- Use protective clothing – It plays a major role in protecting your skin. Use of proper clothing and accessories can help you to reduce Melanin level in your body. Use of hat or wearing sunglasses at times are healthy tips. Choose light colour clothing. Use an umbrella for protecting the skin on sunny days.
- Avoid food that increases Estrogen Level because at time of pregnancy, level of Estrogen increase in order to develop tissues of the body as well as Fetus. Avoid food like flaxseeds, soybeans, multi-grain bread, etc.
- Raise Progesterone level. Progesterone acts as an antagonist. If one of the two hormone increases, the other hormone level will decrease. Increase in progesterone level can help you reduce the level of Melanin during pregnancy. Thereafter, helping in avoiding skin pigmentation.
- Increase Vitamin B6. Progesterone level can be maintained by intake of vitamin B6. B6 also helps in the breakdown of estrogen level in liver. Foods like whole grain, walnuts, seafood, banana, etc can make your body rich in Vitamin B6.
- Eat fibre-rich foods. Fibre help removes estrogen from binding it to bile juice. In this way, excessive production can be reduced.
- Eat food rich in folic acid. Folic acid is not prepared by our body, therefore, we need to take from an outer source. Food like mustard, beets, corn, etc can increase the level of folic acid in your body.
Skin pigmentation that is caused during pregnancy will reduce after some time.
Don’t take medicine that claims to reduce Melanin. It is recommended to take prior advice from a doctor.