How To Stop Hiccups – Hiccups are nothing but just little more than a reflex. They occur due to our digestive disturbances. These disturbances can be due to too much eating and overload your stomach. Drinking a lot of alcohol in party and consumption of lot food with it which don’t get digest as fast as we intake it can also result in hiccups. Some more reasons for hiccups can also be like eating too fast, some excitement, smoking, eating very spicy foods or emotional stress.
How To Stop Hiccups
Why we get hiccups– Vagus nerve which runs from brain gets irritated, hiccups start and to stop them we need to give another sensation to the vagus nerve. It can be done with many methods as below.
How To Stop Hiccups
- Sugar:- Eat a spoonful of it to give a sweet sensation to nerves which could do the trick.
- Vinegar:- Eat Teaspoon of it as its very sour in taste and it could also give a different sensation to the vagus nerve.
- Peanut butter:- Take a spoonful of it and put in your mouth. Now just try to swallow it as will interrupt breathing and can help in distract the nerve and may stop hiccup.
- Lemon:- Try drink one lemon juice or put some salt on it and suck with your mouth. As its taste is very sour and will give sensation to your nerve.
- Hot Sauce:- Sip some hot sauce as heat and burn are enough to distract your body process towards it than hiccups.
- Honey:- One teaspoonful of honey on the back of your tongue and swallow it could create a distraction.
- Powdered Chocolate:- Place one teaspoon of powdered chocolate in the mouth and try swallowing it as its not at all easy to swallow it. Vagus nerve gets distracted and hiccup may stop.
- Paper Bags:- Place mouth in the bag and then breathe slowly and deeply in a paper bag until your hiccup get stop.
- Dill Seeds:- Take few dill seeds in mouth and start chewing them.
- Putting Fingers in Ears:- Can also result to help in stopping hiccups recommended by some doctors.
- Surprises:- Any sudden surprises can also result in the stop of hiccups.
- Water:- Swallowing water at intervals or gargling water can also do the trick for you. Take Cold water intake or swallow a piece of ice can also distract the nerve.
- Tongue:- Pulling out your tongue and yanking on it will also be helpful.
- Close Mouth And Nose:- Like you jumping for swimming or try to stop your breathe and then intake and repeat till hiccup stops.
- Medicine:- You can eat tablets containing magnesium as minerals decrease irritation.
- Eating:- We should eat slowly and chew properly, it will help in hiccups.
- Spices:- Taking some spices or chillies like green or red can also irritate and help you out.
- Sing Or Laugh:- We can also Sing or laugh loudly to distract the attention.
- Ginger:- Take a small pice of ginger in the mouth and start chewing it as it tastes very bad will help in sensation.
- Chamomile:- Take one spoonful of powdered Chamomile and mix with hot water and drink it slowly.
- Cardamom:- Take one spoonful of powdered Cardamom and mix with hot water and drink it.
If your hiccups don’t get stop within a few hours of time and continue for the whole day or are interrupting your breathing or eating, or you have stomach pain, fever, vomiting with it then you need to consult your doctor immediately. Then he will cure it with proper medication.